These tips should help you master the new multiplayer modes in Episodes from Liberty City for PlayStation 3, PC, and Xbox 360...
During the wild official Episodes from Liberty City multiplayer sessions
we’ve been having, we’ve gotten lots of questions and requests for
inside tips on ways to get the edge up to make sure you’re firing on
all cylinders when playing online.
With no further ado, today we've put together some tips based on what we've seen asked during and after our community events.
Gameplay Tips – Feel free to use these dollops of gameplay advice to stay ahead of the multiplayer competition in The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony:
Land on a building and take the advantage of using the high ground. This will give you a good view of the action.
- Use NOS wisely in The Ballad of Gay Tony when we start GTA Races. Watch your map on your radar and be prepared for every turn, especially with the APC!
the art of tossing sticky bombs from vehicles. This gives you the
armor of a car plus plenty of speed. Practice by throwing sticky bombs
onto parked cars.
- During our events, find and defend a spot in Deathmatch
between a health spawn and a weapon spawn. This will give you the
opportunity to gather health and ammunition each time you take down an
- Set waypoints for other teammates when in vehicles. This is especially helpful in modes like Witness Protection. This will allow the driver to concentrate on the road.
your parachute to your advantage during our matches. Land on the roof
of a building to take the high ground. This not only gives you a
better view of the action but also makes it more difficult for enemies
to use any kind of weaponry against you.
- If you're being followed by an enemy and blips are set to
Shooting, Team, Far or Off, crouch behind cover. Your player name will
disappear and you'll gain the advantage.
Blips Guide - When in a multiplayer lobby before
one of our matches of Episodes from Liberty City, we sometimes get a
few questions asking the functions of specific blips settings. The
host player has several options to choose from for blips that will
appear on the radar.
Might be best to head to that sniper rifle to pick off the enemies on the ground.
- All - All players are shown on the radar, regardless of team or side.
- Near - Only those close to where you are will appear on your radar.
- Far - Only those far away from where you are will appear on your radar.
- Leader - Only the current leader's blip is shown. No mercy! Take the player down.
- None - No blips are shown. Watch your back.
- Team - Only blips for the players on your team show up on your radar. Not available in all modes.
- Shooting - Introduced in The Ballad of Gay Tony, this selection will show a blip for a moment after a player uses a weapon.
Preferences Guide – For the best bet of finding us during a match, we recommend loading up Party Mode and following the instructions on the multiplayer event page,
it's also possible to find us through Quick Match. To maximize the
possibility of finding a lobby with a Rockstar, set the three
Preferences to Don't Care. To do this in the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3
version, start single player and open the in-game phone. Navigate Multiplayer > Preferences. Here you can select your specific preferences on the kinds of matches you want the game to find for you.
- Auto-Aim - As you may be aware, allowing Auto-Aim usually
creates more on-foot action and intense cover-based gunfights.
Disallowing Auto-Aim often provides more vehicle-based action. Matches
with Auto-Aim may not be necessarily easier because all players receive
the same advantage. Settings include Allow, Disallow and Don't Care.
- Police -
Turn this on and the cops will act as they would in the single player
mode. Break the law and the cops are going to crack down on you.
Settings include On, Off and Don't Care.
Fire - In team matches and co-operative missions, you can increase the
level of realism and difficulty by turning Friendly Fire on. Your
bullets will now cause damage to your teammates and vice versa.
Settings include On, Off and Don't Care.
When Friendly Fire is on, take extra care when using projectiles such as molotov cocktails...
Once again, setting all three of the Preferences to Don't Care will
ensure you'll have the best chance of finding a lobby with a Rockstar.
The PC version of the game has a larger set of parameters to
customize the multiplayer experience for Custom Matches. Open the
in-game phone and navigate Multiplayer > Player Match > LIVE > Custom Match > Yes.
Here you can filter to the exact game match you want with these
options: Race Class, Location, Duration, Track, Laps, Auto-Aim,
Weapons, Friendly Fire, Gamertag Display, Respawn Distance, Respawn
Time, Police, Traffic, Blips, Voice Chat, Join In Progress, Time of Day
Make sure to get lots of practice for our next multiplayer event on Thursday, May 13th for Episodes from Liberty City on Xbox 360 from 4-7PM. Also remember we often hop on and play at a moment’s notice, giving a quick heads up that we're playing via Twitter and Facebook,
so be sure to follow closely if you’re on either or both networks. If
you have any tips or questions to add on to this post, give us a shout.